Monday, March 19, 2012

You know you're getting old when...

Last week I took Jude to the doctor for his normal 9 month check-up.  Can't believe we're already at this point.  Do you know what that is?  An entire pregnancy!  But I digress....

Anyway, we were at the doctor and I'm always nervous about the dreaded weight check, cause my guy's a little guy.  And in between the last check-up and this one, he had an I'm-not-eating-anything-because-I'm-sick-and-hate-food spell that lasted almost a week.  So I was extra nervous.  He did fall a bit off his growth curve, but the doctor wasn't worried.  I've never put his stats on here before, but since this is sort of his digital scrapbook, I guess I've been slacking.    Here's my little man in a nutshell at 9 months:

Weight:  18lb 14oz  (19th percentile)
Height:   28in (35th percentile)
Head circumference:  54th percentile (can't remember the measurement)

So the weight gain was a bit of a disappointment but what scared me even more was the fact that the doctor heard his heart murmur again.  I had no idea what that meant, but of course I was worried.  She wanted an echo done of his heart just to make sure everything was normal.

I immediately got home and did what every sane American does, and googled the ish out of heart murmur  while on the phone with my doctor hubs, who will be the first to tell you he's no pediatrician. 

So what's a girl to do?  Well, if you're me, you call your friend Annie who is in her first year Pediatrics residency!  And after she calms you down and tells you everything will probably be ok, you thank her for her advice.  Then you get off the phone and realize the whole conversation revolved around your SON and her advice as a DOCTOR.  Then you wonder where the time has gone...and how we've gotten so old, so fast.  Wasn't it just yesterday when we were soakin' up the rays in Austin with no cares in the world (besides when our ice cream run would be)?

Dr. Annie top row second from left
I'm not even going to mention the fact that I won't be able to join in the girls weekend in Chicago this weekend. Having a small child really puts a dent in the vacay possibilities.

But needless to say, I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends.  Thanks again, Annie, for making me feel SO much better about the echo.  We got the results back from the test and found that everything was normal, thank goodness.

Now I'm just starting to wonder when my gray hairs will be coming in.

No comments: