Thursday, June 2, 2011

Better Be a Boy!

It's absolutely crazy for me to think we are potentially 3 days away from having our baby.  This waiting game is unlike any I've ever experienced.  The anticipation is killing me!  I love how Caitlin describes it:  So much better than going to Disneyland as a kid.  And we all know how excited we were when a Disneyland trip was coming up.  Yeah, it's that feeling.... times a million. 

So we're keeping ourselves very busy.  I've started some projects and nested quite a bit this week.  Gotta say I love that nesting feeling, especially when I actually get things done.  Having unfinished projects and a messy house gets on my nerves so I love the urges to start, finish and feel accomplished with things. 

I started this project at the beginning of the week and wanted to share it with all of you.  For those of you who don't know, I love door hangers.  I think they add so much personality to a house.  I've made one for every season/holiday, so I thought why not make one for this very exciting announcement we're about to make?  They just better be right that this little person inside me is, in fact, a boy.....

Paper Mache Door Hanger


I was so excited to mix the paper mache mix.  I hadn't done that in forever!  All you need is flour, water and glue....can't get easier than that.

I cut out the shape I wanted from a cardboard box we had laying around (literally).  I usually make door hangers out of wood, but for some odd reason busting out my saw just didn't sound too appealing, so I decided paper mache was the next best thing.

I used some packing paper we had saved from gifts to cover the star.

I covered both sides and then realized uh oh, this might stick to the cardboard...so the hubs made a little stand to prop it on so both sides could dry at the same time.

I did 2 coats so it would be sturdy and then let it dry overnight.

The next morning the star was dry, sturdy and ready to go.  Which led me to the fun part....painting! 

I painted both sides with just one coat each.

We hope.....

Spicing it up with my favorite things ever......polka dots

Almost done

Had to get out the drill to attach the ribbon to actually hang it from the door.  Plus I wanted the green accent, of course.

Needed some more green, so I added a dot in the dot.

And voila!  So can't wait to hang this on the door!



As for the nesting, well, the other night I kinda tore Beanie's room apart.  That night I sort of prayed that he didn't come cause I didn't feel ready for him.  I was just organizing his clothes in his chest of drawers which was actually my chest of drawers which means that I had to get all of my clothes out and his in.  Quite the project, let me just tell you.  I was just throwing my clothes into piles and I can't say they're totally picked up yet  whoops.  I was supposed to do that tonight, but then look at me go.  Priorities.  Ok, pics of the project:

Got the drawers empty, which was the first of many battles.  But after I started putting his clothes in, I remembered a great idea my mom gave me at the baby showers.  She said she saved the wrapping paper from the gifts she got to use as drawer liners for us kids.  Yeah, she's totally creative and thrify like that.  Love it!  So after I remembered that, I, too, was going to do that, I rummaged around the house until I found where I put all the wrapping paper.  Let me remind you that I'm 9 months preggo so that rummaging took probably ten times longer than it should've.  Don't worry, I ended up finding it, and the project went on.....


Ducky drawers.....

and striped drawers...

and polka dot drawers....

OH MY!

I'm happy to say his clothes are, for the most part, in their right place.  As for mine......

No comments: