Friday, April 8, 2011

Were you surprised?

Today is the best day of the week....Friday!  But when I woke up this morning I was in the worst mood ever.  I was grumpy and tired.  I'm not getting the best sleep these days and for any of you who know me you know that I really value/need my sleep! 

Ok, so I get to school, sit at my desk and pray to God for the patience and strength to get through the day ahead of me.  Ever have those days?  Yeah, well today was just that day (as I get farther along in pregnancy those days are becoming more and more familiar)

The students came in at 7:55 (yeah, way too early), active and LOUD as ever.  Almost all of them were asking about the schedule for the day, which is posted on our board.  They were asking about the 'blank space' in the afternoon.  I got so frustrated with all the questions about that 'blank space' in the schedule that I threatened to take a ticket away from the next person who asked about it (tickets = big deals for 3rd graders).  They know we go over the schedule every morning after prayer, so I told them to wait and I'd tell them what it was later. 

When prayer was over, I explained our plan for the day and told them the 'blank space' in our schedule was their project presentations.  They had been working on a project for 2 weeks and it was finally time to present them to the class!  They seemed to be relieved when I told them.

I made it through the morning (barely...I was so craving a nap, if that's something you can crave) and through the first part of the afternoon.  It was time for the presentations and all the students were really excited to show off their projects.  Presentations were going well, just running a little longer than expected.  We were supposed to be at the middle school curriculum fair at 1:45.  I stopped the presentations so we could head down to the fair.

We weren't at the fair for very long...maybe 5 minutes when the principal came up to me.  In a super serious voice she said, "You know, I don't want to rain on anyone's curriculum fair, but I need to talk to all of the 3rd graders.  We have a situation that we need to handle right now."  In my head I was like, "Oh gosh, what'd they do now??"  She asked me to wrangle them all up.  They all lined up and she started to talk to them in the hallway and then said, "You know, this is something serious and I don't think we can handle this situation in the hallway.  Let's head up to your classroom."  I followed, super curious about what they had done to be in so much trouble.  In fact, I was a little nervous for them and like any teacher, totally preparing my "you should've known better" speech.

And then we walked in the room........SURPRISE!

I couldn't believe it!  I looked around the classroom and there were parents and presents and lots of delish cake.  They totally pulled off a surprise baby shower!  It was the cutest thing ever.  Not to mention, with the class that I have,  there's no way I thought they'd ever be able to pull off a surprise like this.  They're quite the talkative bunch, but they hadn't mentioned anything!  I really was totally surprised!





Some parents took some pictures, too.  These aren't the greatest, but they're the only ones on my cam, and well, you get the point.

So getting back to that 'blank space' in the schedule.... Well, all the students thought it was for the baby shower.  They thought I knew about it and had it on the schedule for the day!  They said they were sad that it wasn't going to be a surprise.  So cute of them!

Long story short (or long), when your day starts off terrible, and you think it'll be impossible to make it through...it sometimes get's better.

No comments: